Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Seat cushion tutorial

We bought this Ikea Jokkmokk dining table and chairs from our friends before they moved into their new house. The chairs were a little hard, so I decided they needed a little padding. I made these seat cushions for my dining room chairs two weeks ago, but never got around to posting the tutorial. I wanted a neutral color that would work for all seasons, so I picked this beige fabric on clearance from Joann.

Here are the steps...
1. Buy 2" foam (also bought at Joann), individually or by the yard
2. Draw lines on the foam to fit the chair and saw off the excess with a serrated knife (I used a bread knife)
3. Lay foam on folded section of fabric
4. Cut fabric, leaving a one inch border on the folded side (front of chair seat) and 2 inch border on the other sides
5. Sew sides of rectangle together using a 1" seam allowance.
6. Pin and sew the corners of the square
7. Sew strips of fabric for the ties. Turn them inside out and finish the ends. Attach to the the open end (back of chair seat), leaving a 9" opening for the velcro strips.
8. Pin and sew strips of velcro to the 9" opening
9. Turn right side out, stuff the foam inside and close the velcro opening
10. Voila, cushions are complete and our bottoms are much more comfortable :)

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket Photobucket


On a side note, here's me as a pumpkin and Frankie as a Giants fan (I made his costume myself! Hope everyone has a fun and safe HAPPY HALLOWEEN!! I'm spending it sitting on the couch hoping for a few trick-or-treating kids. :D


1 comment:

  1. Hi Blaire!! Those are some awesome seat cushions! Always so talented :) Well this is a pretty sweet blog find...we can now be craft blog buddies!! :D

    ReplyDelete